The organizations have to be accustomed to the voluminous paper work or records generated. The document management system is the one which takes care of all aspects of the document throughout its life cycle and at the same time presents the user with the data whenever and wherever it is required in any desired format. Invariably, the chief components of a document management application involve the following:
- Metadata: It is just like writing the meta descriptions for the web pages. These are the ones which incorporate the keywords which can be used by the users for identification of what is written on the document.
- Integration: This is an important component since it allows the document to be integrated with the other document management application systems which can be used by different users for the retrieval of the data. The users can make the changes and then store the same in the repository. The records management systems can be used to save the changed information as well.
- Capture: The capture refers to that application which makes use of the multifunctional printers and the scanners to capture the data or the images as such into the machine or computer readable formats.
- Indexing: This is a little different from the metadata in that these are unique document identifiers. These are the ones which are used to keep track of the documents.
- Storage: This is a very important part of the integrated document management. Its importance can be known from the fact that commonly people view only this feature or component as the document management system itself. This involves the conversion of documents from one storage media to another.
- Retrieval of the documents: Since the classification and indexing is done uniquely by the document management application, the retrieval of the documents is done very quickly and easily without having to search too much. The documents can be retrieved easily by whosoever wants to get the access, provided due authorisations are there for him to access the same.
- Security: The whole exercise of the document management is designed to secure the documents. The security of the documents can be increased by increasing the spread of the storage avenues across different media. The same is also achieved with the help of integrated document management principles which enable access only to some specified people using specific codes or passwords. The security is also meant to be established by way of building the security of the webpage documents using the web security protocols to protect against the internet based security challenges.
- Workflow: The software of records management also has an inbuilt function of the workflow management. This means that the documents will flow to the desired levels and to the designated people automatically, after due approvals and authorisations.
- Destruction: After the lifecycle of the documents is over and they are required to be destroyed, the destruction is carried out professionally with due authorisations and approvals, which means that no such document is destroyed which required to be preserved.
Caitlin Jones writes on Records Management. He is associated with many Document Management System and Document Management Application websites. He is an active member of many reputed social networks and works consistently to help people with his knowledge.